Wednesday, 5 August 2015

The Berry Connection

Avid followers of Bake Off might be interested to learn that Mary Berry, doyenne of the baking world, has more than a passing connection to Hull.

Her grandfather was Canon E. Arthur Berry, vicar of Drypool from 1914 until 1947 and was responsible for the building of both the Church Hall and the first Church of St. Columba which was consecrated in January 1929.

Canon Berry is mentioned in the archives in a number of capacities.

Building plans submitted by Rev. Canon E.A. Berry of the Drypool Vicarage, show drawings for the Mission Hut on Southcoates Lane. The plan is dated 14th October 1927 [C TAB 1916/BLM/3851]

On the 9th April 1933 Canon Berry was one of the speakers at a mass meeting called by the Hull Jewish community to be held at the the Balmoral Room, Metropole Hall, West Street, Hull in protest against the persecution of Jews in Germany. [C DJC/1/6/1/1]

A member of the Hull & East Riding Ministry of Information during The Second World War, Canon Berry, along with Councillor Mrs Hangar and Mr James M Peddie (later Baron Peddie, of the City and County of Kingston upon Hull) were tasked with preparing reports on the effects of air raids on Hull and its citizens. [C DIIP/1/4/1-1/4/7]

His service of farewell after 33 years as Vicar of Drypool was held at Holderness Road (Brunswick) Wesleyan Methodist Church on June 29th 1947. [C DCE/220] St. Columba’s had been destroyed in an air raid in July 1943 and until 1960 services were held in the old hall until the new church was consecrated in September 1960.

Carol Tanner

Access and Collections Manager

1 comment:

Comments and feedback welcomed....