In 1836, on the 27th, Joseph Henry Fenner was christened at Brixton, Surrey. He would later become the founder of the Fenner Group in Hull.
|Employment agreement and retirement bonus letter belonging to a long-term employee of Fenners [C DIFK]|
In 1850, on the 3rd, Victoria Dock was formally opened by Mr T. Firbank, Chairman of Hull Dock Company, and was signalled to the town by the firing of a salute from a battery in the Citadel.
|Postcard showing Victoria Dock, Late 18th cent. [L RH/2/68]|
In 1908, on the 1st, Hull's Garden Village was officially opened. The building of Garden Village was a philanthropic venture devised by Sir James Reckitt for the benefit of his workers and retired workers. It was financed by Reckitt and another local philanthropist, Sir Thomas Ferens.
|Postcard showing Garden Village, 1910 [L RH/2/344]|
In 1915, on the 5th, a wooden dummy gun was installed on the roof of the premises that would later become Rose Downs and Thompson. It was intended to act as a deterrent to German zeppelins, and was manned from 8pm to 5am each night.
|Copy tender for a wooden gun, c.1915 [C DBR/2509/118]|
In 1937, on the 25th, a trolleybus service opened to traffic two days after a ceremonial inauguration. The service replaced the existing tramway network, and used overhead electric wires but did not require tracks to run.
|Trolleybus in operation in Victoria Square, 1939 [Lp.388.322.15]|
In 1981, on the 17th, the Humber Bridge was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II, and was then the longest single span suspension bridge in the world.
|Visit of civic dignitaries from Sierra Leone during construction of the Humber Bridge, 1979 [C TDP/2/7/9]|
If you want to find out more about any of these facts, drop in to the History Centre and see what else we have.
Claire Weatherall, Assistant Archivist (Hull University Archives)