Whilst flicking through, I thought the concept would make a great, if slightly eclectic blog. What follows, therefore, is a series of interesting facts supported by images from Hull History Centre collections, and the only link is that these things happened in bygone Junes. If nothing else, it will make good pub quiz fodder!
Beginning in 1800, on the 21st, Dr John Alderson laid the foundation stone of the Hull Subscription Library building in Parliament Street. To mark the opening of the new rooms, a meeting was held at which the below address was given in 1801 [C DMGB/1/5/3].
In 1829, on the 1st, Junction Dock was officially opened. This plan of Hull, dated 1829, shows the existing docks and harbours, alongside the new Junction Dock [L MAPS].
In 1846, on the 18th, Railway Dock was opened for shipping. This plan shows railway dock alongside existing docks in 1855 [L MAPS].
In 1861, Joseph Henry Fenner founded a leather belt and currying business at 21 ½ Bishop Lane, which would go on to become The Fenner Group. This extract from the 1863 Hull trade directory shows Fenner to be in occupation of the said premises.
In 1887, on the 21st, East Park was opened to the public for the first time. Situated on Holderness Road, it was designed by Joseph Fox Sharpe. The following is a sketch of East Park made c.1887 [Lp.352.73 EAS/34].
In 1914, on the 1st, Tower Picture Palace was opened on the north side of Anlaby Road, towards the city centre. Designed by H. Percival Banks, it was a single screen cinema with seating for 2000 people. This Air Raid Precaution (Fire Guards Section) card shows that the manager of the cinema in 1942 was Noel Greenwood of 132 Westbourne Avenue, Hull [C TYR/15590].
In 1981, on the 24th, a ferry service between Hull’s Corporation Pier and New Holland Pier ceased to run, and the Humber Bridge opened to traffic. This illustration shows one of the proposed bridge designs, which was ultimately not selected [L.624.1.84]
If you are intrigued by any of these facts, drop in and see what other information we might have here at Hull History Centre. You can also search our catalogue for more information on our holdings.
Claire, Assistant Archivist (Hull University Archives)